There are many different versions of the “refrigerator pickle”. They are quick and easy and require very little effort. I actually made these over the summer and I am now just writing about them.
Here is a quick version that I came up with after looking at a ton of great recipes on the web.
- 3-4 lbs. firm pickling cukes
- 6 cups of water
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 cup of whole black peppercorns
- 1 medium sweet onion or red onion ( they both work well)
- 1 fresh Jalapeño pepper (if you want some heat)
- Bring the water and vinegar to a boil and then set aside to cool off
- Wash the cukes really well and cut into quarters making a spear
- Wash the dill, crush the garlic and cut the onions into rings
- I used a large plastic tupperware container
- Layer the dill, peppercorns,garlic, onion and cukes in the bottom of the tupperware
- Pour the cooled brine in and use something to weight the cukes down, I used a small dish
- Leave it on the counter for around 3 to 4 hours and then put them in the refrigerator for 7 days. The pickles will stay for 3 weeks, but trust me they won’t last that long. I know it’s almost winter but these are good anytime of the year.